Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 20 October 2015


Have you ever been to hospital? Well I have but it wasn't just an ordinary visit, it was the biggest, scariest experience of my life. All I remember is the needles, big machines, my eyes feeling extremely sore and that smelly air that bursts into your face.

Now you are going to feel how I felt once as I tell you all about it.

Picture the day - the sun was rising slowly, it was 6:15 in the morning. I was off to the hospital with my Mum for a long day of suffering, crying, and doctors.  Today was the day... I was having surgery!

It all went down at the fancy Southern Cross Hospital - the one with fancy furniture. One of the worst things was that I couldn't eat until I was in the ward.  We walked up to the reception and showed the piece of paper that had all the information about me having an operation.  Then we walked up the stairs to the day surgery place and waited and waited for the lady to come and give me some pain killers.

The lady came and gave me the pills. I swallowed the pills then we waited for 15 minutes until I got called to go into a room to get my blood pressure taken. After having my blood pressure taken I felt a cold rush shivering down my spine.

Next we went into a room where I would get changed into a hospital gown with my new balance shorts underneath and my dressing gown over top. I met the anaesthetist and was ready to go into theatre.

One step after another clenching my teeth, I walked into theatre and I lay down on the bed, holding my stuffed giraffe called Stinky. I know stinky is a weird name but trust me he was stinky when I was little. The anaesthetist put a mask over my nose and mouth. The mask was filled with a scent that smelled like strawberries. Then he put a tube in the mask. "There is perfume in this tube from Mt Cook that costs $100 dollars per millilitre" said the anaesthetist. "Well it doesn't smell like it could cost that much. That smell is horrid"  I told him. "It's a lot of money" he replied.  “Uh huh" I said as I drifted off to sleep.

Lights out, I was finally asleep and it was time for my operation. Now you're probably wondering what happened. Well I'm wondering too. After a few hours I woke up in the ward in lots of pain. "Would you like something to eat?" my Mum asked.  “Eat?  Eat? No!”  I said.  I hadn’t eaten for the entire day, what was I thinking?  Why was I not hungry?

Trying to get some rest, I asked my mum when Nanny and Grandad were coming. It was as if they heard me because just at the moment they walked through the door. "Are you sore?" asked Grandad "Ha ha very funny" I said. Then everyone started laughing.

A doctor came and put fluids through my IV drip in my hand that would keep me hydrated. Nanny and Grandad left. I was trying to get a little bit of sleep but the doctors couldn't control the pain.

I started breathing heavily. Then I hyperventilated ... my hands were cramped and I couldn't move my legs. I was wondering what on earth was happening.  Was I about to die?  

My mum could see I was having trouble breathing.  I told her I couldn’t move my hands or my legs.  Mum quickly rushed out of the room and grabbed the anaesthetist who was just passing by.  Could he doing anything to help?  He told me to breath slowly and keep calm. Since they couldn't control the pain I had to stay the night at the hospital. I was in a single room then got moved to a double room so my mum could stay. It was great to have mum’s company.  It made me feel safe.

Then at around 11:30 pm I got woken up by a nurse to have some more fluid in my IV drip.  At 1:00 am they came back and I had some codeine and said "But you were here twenty minutes ago." The nurse said "No you had a big sleep that's all." I went back to sleep after the nurse had left, the bed was really comfortable and I felt much calmer.

In the morning and I ordered a yummy breakfast … after not eating for about 24 hours I was surprised how little I’d eaten.  

After all that pain the operation didn't work!  I going to have to do it all over again!   But ... at least the other operation will be later in my life.


  1. Wow Isabella!!! That's an amazing story. I love the way you put it into a speech. Can't wait to read more!!!

  2. Sounds scary! I had to go to southern cross to get these, well thingies in my ears to get me to hear better. I had that strawberry stuff too. But your operation sounds way scarier than mine

  3. Wow Isabella that speech is a really great speech
    I can't wait to hear more of your speeches 😝

  4. Hi bella I know how you feel because I've been in hospital for surgery on my leg
    Yeah so I like your writing